The CallmeSavvy Guide To Travel Insurance

The CallmeSavvy Guide To Travel Insurance

Over the next few days we’ll be taking you through the necessity that is travel insurance, as well as focussing on some specific products that could save you time and hassle.

To kick off, we’ll be explaining travel insurance in general to give you a good understanding of what it is and why you should have it.


Why Is It So Important?


Like all insurance, Travel Insurance is essentially there to protect you financially from paying the high price of emergency or critical purchases, and in doing so, give you peace of mind that should the worst happen, you are protected.

The key difference with Travel Insurance is that it can cover various areas – such as possessions & health – and as such is a vitally important piece of cover, even if it is for such a short period of time.

And depending on the type of cover that you buy, you could be including things such as cancellation, delays & curtailment to your holiday either though unforeseen circumstances or the fault of another party.

Much like other insurance policies, cheap isn’t best. The price generally reflects the level of cover that you are buying and most of the time the improvement in cover may only cost a few pence, so it pays to really understand what you are paying for and what the upgrade options might be.


What Types Of Cover Are Available?

There are two main types of cover – single trip & annual.

Single Trip Cover gives you protection for one individual trip from the start date to the return date. If you travel infrequently, this is the best type of cover for you.

Annual Cover (or multi-trip cover) operates over a year with an unlimited number of trips, although the length of trip is often limited to around a month. The policy works as best value for money if you make a couple of trips a year.

Both types of cover typically come with a European or Worldwide option, some with US & Canada specifics. The cover can be bought for an individual, couple, family or group.


What Is An EHIC Card?

You’ll have heard of this and you might think, like many people, that this is enough to give you health cover when abroad. However, this isn’t the case…

Previously known as the E111 (one-eleven) it’s a Europe wide scheme that allow nationals of EU countries to received the same free health care that they’d receive if they were a national of the county they are visiting.

However, all this means is that you receive the same treatment – not that this treatment will be as good as you are accustomed to in the UK, and that you’ll only receive the same free care – which means that any elements that are chargeable, and in some countries this means the drugs, equipment and procedures – so you’ll be liable for these charges just like a local will be liable.

The only way to ensure that you aren’t charged for medical care abroad is by having a policy that has a good level of medical cover. You’ll receive protection against bills, but you’ll also have a UK contact available at the end of the phone to discuss the treatment, give you general advice and importantly give the local medical providers the peace of mind that they’ll get paid – this can sometimes cause delays…


Other Types Of Travel Insurance

There are many extra levels of travel insurance that can be applied to your cover, here are the main ones;

Pre-Existing Condition – this doesn’t mean that you can’t travel, nor does it mean that you are uninsurable. There will be a premium to pay to cover the increased likelihood that you’ll need medical assistance while abroad, but at the same time it also guarantees that you’ll receive the correct treatment for a condition that most of the time will require it.

Winter Sports – speaking of increased risk, if you love your winter sports then you’ll need a policy that reflects the likelihood of injury on the slopes. This can also include cover for rented or owned equipment as well as the loss of any lift passes – all of which can really ruin a ski or snowboard holiday!

Cruises – many people travel on cruises with standard insurance but do not realise that specific cruise insurance is required to cover you against certain eventualities. Always be sure that you have the right cover for the right trip.

Backpacker/Long-Stay Insurance – this is specifically designed for travellers who know they’ll be away for more than one month and can be sold for up to a year of continuous travel. It works the same as standard insurance but takes into account the length of time away.

Header Image Credit

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.


You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>